Tuesday, October 16, 2007

This I Know..





"The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble, and He knows those who take refuge in Him" (Nahum 1:7).


A friend shared this verse with me the other day and I thought it appropriate to stop and write a quick little post about what my weekend was like.
Wednesday night I had a spectacular dinner with one of my good friends (Edmond). Check out the menu: salad ... greens with sliced pears, orange-cranberry raisins and fresh shaved mozzarella cheese, served with balsamic vinaigrette; scalloped yams with praline topping; chicken pesto panini on wheat sourdough bread with roasted bell peppers and Havarti cheese white wine and sparkling pomegranate juice; classic vanilla bean ice-cream; winter fruit blend tea. We whipped this all up at the house I was house sitting.
Friday after work I went to Costco to buy new tires. Saturday morning my house/dog sitting came to an end and I headed home to get ready for my birthday dinner scheduled to take place at my sister's house in Northridge. As I drove across town I skipped over the freeway, but noticed there was a huge traffic jam. Little did I know that the main freeway (Interstate 5), had been completely closed down due to an accident that took place at 11:00 p.m. on Friday Oct. 12th. I finally found my way around it, but not after being on the freeway from 12:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Dinner was great. It was a special time indeed. My sisters went all out and put up pictures of me growing up and decorated very, very nicely. I can say it's been getting better every year. After dinner a few friends got together and went salsa dancing at El Cid in Hollywood. I'm still a bit sore from that, but it was a great time. Sunday I got to go to a special 28 year anniversary for a Pastor friend of mine (Pastor Alejandro Hernandez). It was out in La Puente. We had a wonderful and encouraging time of fellowship there.
And finally on Monday I took the day off and my best friend took me to Bodies...The Exhibition. It was phenomenal, super amazing, and just plain cool. It was down in San Diego. First we stopped at Peet's Coffee and Tea, I got a medium Pride of the Port and my best bud got herself a small Decaf White Chocolate Mocha. We also split a cinnamon twist. Then we were off. I hadn't a clue where she was taking me (even though I drove), so it was a total and complete surprise. All I can say is wow...God is good.
Yes my brother is in juvenile hall, yes I wish things were different, yes it hurts to know that he is without hope in this world as are my parents, but this I know: God is for me! And I have the privilege of being able to come before my faithful and merciful high priest in prayer for them. I'm not going to give up! I was able to smile through the entire weekend and even until today, because I know God is sovereign and He works all things for good.
I thank God for all He has taught me and is going to teach me throughout this new year, for the wonderful friends He's blessed me with, and for having saved my three younger sisters. Great is His faithfulness!

2 comments:

wagamama said...

AMEN and AMEN! GREAT is His faithfulness. He is slow to anger and abounding in loving kindness. My dear friend, thank you for your example of trusting the Lord in trying times. And I am glad you had a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The Resident Writer said...

God is great and awesome . . . and you are fun.