Thursday, March 13, 2008

What's Happenin'

Hello friends! I wanted to blog and update you on the details surrounding my brother Joey's case. Firstly, thank you to all who have been praying for him. It has been interesting to see how all this is being worked out. I can't help but think of the verse in Scripture that says for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. i'm so thankful for both His common and divine grace!

My brother has written to me a couple of times, but in his most recent letter he told me that he'd been given a Bible. He said he'd been memorizing a couple of verses from Psalm 23, and that he's receiving comfort from the Scriptures.

He had a trial on the 10th where his attorney Mrs. Grier represented him very faithfully. I wasn't present, but my younger sister Malisa gave me the details. Apparently they are having a hard time placing him into a special school because they've been waiting on a psychological analysis. Things could have gone faster if the school he was attending had responded a bit faster and given the city their diagnosis of Joey: emotionally disturbed. But his attorney said that this term was too vague for the Regional Center to be willing to step in and provide life term assistance to my brother. The city just wants to prosecute my brother as a criminal, but Mrs. Grier is doing all she can to insure my brother gets the proper help.

As I spoke to my sister about these things I thought to myself "why is this lady so caring and compassionate?" Before I could say anything, the answer came to my mind "this is an answer to prayer!" And my sister Malisa added that this woman has a son just like our brother, and that this is the reason she is doing all she can to get him the help he needs.

A psychologist by the name of Dr. Roman recently evaluated Joey and determined that he's mildly retarted and autistic. Now they want the court to provide funds for a neuropsychologist to evaluate him to confirm the psychologists assessment. As I mentioned before, the city is trying to say that nothing is wrong with Joey in order to try, and prosecute him as a criminal.

Please keep praying for Joey as you feel led by the Spirit to, and pray for us who know the Lord in the family to be a source of continued encouragement to Joey in the days to come. As it is, Joey will remain in jail until the neuropsychologist evaluates him.

I'm getting married in 45 days!

No comments: